Vive Cinema supports many types of video playing such as flat, stereo (3D), 360, and 180. The file format should be .mp4, .mkv, .mov, and .divx. It knows the 360 video with metadata format "Spherical Video RFC", or user needs to manual adjust the playing mode to 360.( Further detail is in Basic Playing item 2 below.) Besides, Vive Cinema supports spatial audio whose format is Google VR Audio (ambisonic decoding with HRTF), FuMa, Facebook 360 Spatial Workstation (TBE),and ITU 5.1,ITU 7.1 surround sound. It also supports subtitle files whose format is .srt or .ass, and multiple languages embedded in .mkv.
**** [for developer] github link ****
Vive Cinema is an c++ open source player with GPL 3.0 license. The github link is here: https://github.com/openbigdatagroup/vivecinema
It is default for NVDEC(NVidia GPU acceleration). It needs to manually set AMF (AMD acceleration).
**** Start Vive Cinema ****
1. Put your videos into directory "Vive Cinema" in Windows Video Library, or modify “vivecinema.xml” in directory “Vive Cinema”. If there is no "Vive Cinema", please create it or run our application once. We will create the directory for you.
(Way 1) Copy your videos into directory “Vive Cinema”.
(Way 2) Open and Edit “vivecinema.xml” file in directory ”Vive Cinema” by Notepad or Notepad++:
=> Write down your video directories absolute path between the tag <videopaths><\videopaths>
=> Write down your videos absolute path between the tag <videos><\videos>, and it allows to manual set sv3d, sa3d preferences for each video.
=> The file format should be UTF-8
2. Make sure SteamVR status is ready.
3. Open Vive Cinema.
**** Basic Playing ****
1. [Select Video]
(a) Point to the video thumbnail, pull Trigger.
(b) Swipe left and right on Touchpad of controller to the next page if more than 12 videos.
2. [Manual change the playing mode to stereo or 360 video]
(a) In the Video Selection page, the right-top corner of thumbnail will show a setting icon. Point to this icon then it will show a video type selection panel.
(b) Pull Trigger to switch the mode. You can select the combination of 3D SBS, 3D TB, 360, 180, Noticed 360 SBS supports to some video claimed stereo 180 degree.
3. [Adjust the screen position]
(a) For flat, stereo(3D) videos
=> Point to the screen, pull and hold Trigger. then point to any position to put down the screen.
=> Point to the screen, pull and hold Trigger, swipe top/down on Touchpad to adjust the distance of the screen.
=> Point to the screen, pull and hold Trigger, press Touchpad to rotate the screen.
(b) For 360, stereo 360 videos
=> Press and hold Trigger, swipe left/right on Touchpad to adjust the view direction on the center.
4. [Play,Pause,Next Video,and Volume control]
(a) Press Menu to show or hide the widget panel.
(b) Point to the function icon on the widget panel, press Trigger.
(c) Press Grip to Pause or Start the video.
**** External Subtitle files ****
0. Vive Cinema supports these subtitle file format: .srt, .ass.
1. [Prepare subtitle files]
(a) Please copy the subtitle file into the same directory as the video.
(b) Change the file name if necessary. It needs to have the same title except for filename extension. For example, video: filename.mp4 can have the subtitle named: filename.srt or filename.eng.srt . (or .ass)
2. Vive Cinema will detect the external subtitle automatically. It will show a subtitle icon if detects successfully.
**** Multiple Language Selection ****
Vive Cinema only supports switching multiple languages which already be embedded in the video file. It will show an icon in the widget panel if multiple languages are detected and supported.
**** Ambisonic Audio format support ****
Vive Cinema supports ambisonics spatial audio format: [ACN or FuMa], [FOA,TBE,2nd HOA,or 3rd HOA], and with SADIE Binaural Measurement KU100 HRTF. It also supports ITU 5.1,7.1 surround sound using HRTF.
To trigger this feature, 4 methods following:
1) The media has spatial audio metadata : https://github.com/google/spatial-media/tree/master/spatialmedia
2) The media is switched to VR mode (360 or 180).
3) It has 4 channels, 9 channels, or 16 channels for audio ⇒ decoded it as Ambix.
or It has has 8 channels for audio AND it has TBE metadata. ⇒ decoded it as TBE.
or Write down the specific video names into vivecinema.xml. Set the preference as ambiX or FuMa specifically. please refer:
Google spatial audio: https://github.com/google/spatial-media/tree/master/spatial-audio
Facebook 360 Spatial Workstation: https://facebook360.fb.com/spatial-workstation/
A: The refresh rate may be locked by the graphics card. [NVIDIA] open “NVIDIA control panel”->“manage 3d settings”->“vertical sync”: be off or Use the 3D Application Setting. [AMD] open “Catalyst Control Center”->“Gaming”->”3D Application Settings”->“Vertical refresh”: be near off.
The 0.9.624 version released:
1. Fixed subtitle playing ( multithreading issue).
2. Added a video folder in root of Vive Cinema. (User can copy the videos in it and play.)
3. Been enable GPU acceleration. (NVDEC and AMF)
4. Announced Vive Cinema open source webpage.